Pasta with goat cheese and asparagus
1 lb. spiral pasta
4 oz. log of fresh goat cheese
1 bunch of asparagus, cut into pieces about 2 in. long
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 or 2 cups fresh chopped basil
- Boil the pasta for about four minutes, adding a few dashes of salt after the first minute or two.
- Add the cut asparagus to the boiling noodles and allow the pot to boil another two or three minutes. (The asparagus should be tender but still firm.)
- Drain the pasta and asparagus together, reserving one cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, combine olive oil, lemon peel, basil and cheese in a large bowl, breaking up the goat cheese as you put it in.
- Add hot pasta and asparagus to bowl, along with a couple slashes of the pasta water. Toss until smoothly combined, adding more pasta water if needed.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.