Monday, June 22, 2009

Wednesday Spaghetti with a twist

I'm thinking as much as I LOVE spaghetti, your guests might get a little tired of the same ol' spaghetti dinner each week. So here is a delicious recipe that is "spaghetti like" but not officially spaghetti. This is an easy recipe and the sauce can be made ahead of time. Wait to add the cream and parmesan until you are getting ready to cook the pasta and reheat the sauce.

Linguine with Vodka Tomato Sauce
2 tblsp. Olive oil
3 tblsp. Butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 can 28oz. Plum tomatoes (I usually used crushed tomatoes)
1 tsp. Dried basil
1/8 tsp. Red pepper flakes
½ cup vodka
½ cup whipping cream
¼ cup parmesan
12 oz. Linguine, cooked

Combine olive oil and butter in large pan. Sauté onion and garlic. Add tomatoes, basil, red pepper and vodka. Simmer about 10 minutes or until sauce is reduced. Add cream and simmer about 5 minutes. Add parmesan and combine with pasta.

And if you are looking for a family friendly dessert, try this one. I posted it not too long ago at Moms without Blogs. You can mix things up by changing the flavors of the ice cream and/or the flavors of the oreos. Yum!

OREO ICE CREAM DESSERT
· 1/2 gal vanilla ice cream, softened
· 12 oz Cool Whip
· 2 pkgs of Oreos, you will have some left over

For the crust, crush 45 Oreos and mix with 1/2 cup melted butter. Press into bottom and sides of 9x13 pan. For the filling, mix together the softened ice cream, the Cool Whip, and 30 Oreos broken into small pieces. Pour the filling over the crust and freeze for at least 2 hours or overnight. You will probably have some filling left over, which I pour into cups and freeze and it is like a DQ Blizzard.

Enjoy!
Jo
Under the Influence

8 comments:

Mara said...

Sounds delicious--thanks for sharing your recipe!

Unknown said...

Alright! I have never seen the sketti recipe.. I remember the oreo one though. Thanks for sharing!

Little Ms Blogger said...

I'm so going to try both recipes out. They sound simple and yummy.

Have you ever added pancetta or proscuitto to the vodka sauce? If so, does it work in this recipe?

Unknown said...

Our teen loves pasta dishes. I'll have to show him this one.

SweetPeaSurry said...

Freaking yumm-OH!!!

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh that sounds so great! Could I just eat the oreo crust for dinner?

Toothfairy said...

YUMMYYY! it sounds really really good, I will try it sometime! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

The dessert sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing, my diet will hate this but my mouth will love it.